It’s snow season in the DMV area, which means the task of snow shoveling is inevitable for most of us. What most don’t know is that there is a proper technique to shoveling that can prevent pains and strains in the back and neck.
Here a few tips to keep in mind when shoveling:
- Carry too much snow at once
- Let the shovel get too far away from your center of mass (belly), causing overexertion and strains
- Do not lift with your back.
- Keep your loads light
- Stay as close to the shovel as possible
- Bend your knees and use it as a leverage point (see-saw) to help lift up heavier packed snow.
See the do’s and don’ts in action in our Facebook Live video below.