Vagus Nerve Therapy
The Vagus nerve is one of the longest nerves in the human body, stretching from the brainstem all the way down to the colon. This nerve controls various bodily functions, including heart rate, breathing, and digestion. Recent research shows that stimulating this nerve can help in treating a range of mental and physical health conditions. In this page, we will discuss what vagus nerve therapy is and how it works.
There are different ways to approach Vagus Nerve Therapy, in Fairfax, VA including methods such as breathing exercises, meditation, antidepressant medication, and electrical stimulation. However, the most widely recognized and proven effective method is using a Vagal Nerve Stimulator (VNS). This device sends gentle electrical pulses through the vagus nerve to regulate key areas of the brain that impact the cardiovascular, gastrointestinal, and nervous systems. Apart from this, the use of VNS is believed to decrease stress hormone levels, reduce inflammation, and improve emotional regulation. Overall, Vagus Nerve Therapy has demonstrated outstanding results.
The vagus nerve is the longest cranial nerve in the body and plays a crucial role in regulating the autonomic nervous system.
It controls a number of bodily functions, including heart rate, digestion, and respiration, among others. An enhanced vagal tone, which is the activity level of the vagus nerve, has been shown to offer a range of health benefits, including:
1. Improved Mental Health: Studies indicate that an increase in vagal tone can help alleviate symptoms of anxiety, depression, and other mental health conditions. This is because the vagus nerve carries signals from the body to the brain and can help regulate the stress response.
2. Reduced Inflammation: Inflammation is a leading cause of many chronic health conditions, including heart disease, diabetes, and autoimmune disorders. An increase in vagal tone has been shown to reduce inflammation, which can improve overall health and wellbeing.
3. Better Digestive Health: The vagus nerve is an important regulator of digestion and gut function. An increase in vagal tone can improve nutrient absorption, reduce inflammation in the gut, and improve overall digestive health.
4. Enhanced Cardiovascular Health: The vagus nerve plays a key role in regulating heart rate and blood pressure. An increase in vagal tone has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease and stroke.
5. Improved Respiratory Function: The vagus nerve also controls breathing and can help regulate the respiratory system. An increase in vagal tone can improve lung function and reduce the symptoms of asthma and other respiratory conditions.
There are many ways to enhance your vagal tone, such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, yoga, and acupuncture. By improving vagal tone, you can experience a range of health benefits and improve your overall wellbeing.
Clinical Research Studies
Non - Invasive Vagus Nerve Simulation The concept of passive or active electrical ly stimulating the auricular branch of th e vagus nerve (ABVN) is now gaining recognition in literature. ( Barone L et al; 2007 , De Couck M et al; 2012 ). Called - non - invasive v agus nerve stimulation (VNS) - VNS has been reported to improve HRV ( Constantinescu V et al., 2019 , Levin C et al .) , activate the parasympathetic system, ( Clancy JA et al., 2014) to reduce inflammation (Kaniusas et al., 2019 ), respiratory dysfunction (Tracey, 2007 ), and the reduction of pro - inflammatory cytokines (Tracey, 2007 ; Stavrakis et al., 2015 ), Dolphin Vagus Nerve Stimulation activates Vagal Tone Dolphin Vagal Nerve Stimulation has been proven in science to activate the parasympathetic system ( Armstrong 2019) , which reduces lung inflammation (Kaniusas 2019 ), and pro - inflammatory cytokines to improve respiratory dysfunction (Tracey, 2007 ).
The Dolphin Vagal Stimulator can be used in various clinical scenarios, including pre-manual relaxation therapy to increase circulation and relax muscle tone. Additionally, it can effectively reduce both stress and pain in hospitals and clinical settings, with a quick application time of under 15 minutes per patient. Front line workers can also benefit from the Dolphin VNS, as it can be used preventatively to reduce stress, improve immunity, and lower the risk of COVID-19 infections. This safe clinical procedure is an effective treatment for stress reduction and can enhance vagal tone.